I know that I have been slacking off in the blogging department this summer, but I promise it’s not because I forgot about you. I think about you all the time, I even stare longingly at my computer, but just never make it to actually writing a post. I get too caught up in Pinterest and Facebook, and reading other blogs. I know, excuses, excuses. Anyways here’s an update on my life this summer:
1. I am hopelessly, and completely addicted to Dexter. It took some convincing (by my youngest stepson – a fellow Dexter fanatic), and about 3 episodes, but then I was hooked. And because it’s on Netflix, there is just no excuse to watch it. (For some reason it’s only on the Canadian Netflix). I will admit that at times it is a pretty intense show, and I find myself clenching my fists and grinding my teeth in anticipation, but it’s sooooo good! John will even watch it with me (which is saying something, he is not a tv series watcher) – it’s a pretty clever show.
2. Have you heard this summer anthem? I spent most of the first half of the summer rocking out to it in my car, but then I found Blurred Lines (WARNING: this video contains nudity). I know that it has been super controversial (especially since the whole Miley Cyrus twerking fiasco), but it’s so catchy. And honestly, I don’t take these things too seriously. I am not a huge fan of the video, but I love the song. Plus it has Pharrell, how bad can it be? Also, there are some pretty good parodies of it out there too – this one is my favourite.
3. My container garden kind of failed. I didn’t enlist enough help while we were away, not enough watering, I think. At least that’s what I am going with. It’s okay, as we will still have some nice tomatoes and peppers, and I learned some things for next year.
4. I got a new bike and it’s awesome. I can only ride it for about 20 minutes before I want to fall over and die, but that’s okay. I am probably in the worse shape ever, but that’s why I got a bike, to change that.
I think it is absolutely beautiful, and it has a basket, a bee bell and a cup holder. That’s right, I bike to Starbucks now (well sometimes I walk, but I can bike). It’s only a 7-speed, so I can’t do anything crazy, but to be honest, I like it that way. I don’t want to do anything crazy.
5. I discovered these Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip cookies, and I can’t think about anything else. They are soooo good! I have eaten about 10 today, and take my advice – the taste good frozen too so hiding them from yourself in the freezer doesn’t work. I will never let brown bananas got to waste again!
6. Bees! Actual fuzzy, big, bumble bees! We have a ton of them at the side of our house this summer. They love our weeds. I never get out there and pull these thistles because the job is just too daunting and who looks over there anyway? I actually think they look really pretty when they get this big and flower (I wish they would do that in the front yard too), and the bees seem to love them!
7. My little sister turned 30 at the beginning of August. I can’t be old enough to have a 30 year old younger sister, can I? It’s hard for me to believe that she is 30. I still feel like I’m 20, so how can she be 30?!?! It’s been a month and I still don’t want to accept it!
8. I feel like I have been at the vet every week this summer. They should just have a weekly standing appointment for me. I guess that’s what happens when you have 4 senior dogs. They should really start some kind of customer loyalty program, where every 10th visit is free, or something like that. Jackie Boy hurt his eye, then Solomon scratched his eye (we think he did it himself because he as dry eyes), Quincie got a terrible cough, and Shanny is having troubles with her arthritis and her tummy. I think we’ve mostly got things under control now, but we have definitely been regulars at the vet clinic. They know my voice when I call now.
9. Our water got stolen. You know how you can get water delivery, those big 18.9L bottles? Well we get them delivered once a month, and for some reason when we got back from Atlanta, I totally forgot about our monthly delivery. No biggie, I forgot to put out the empties, but empties or not, they still deliver. So one beautiful, sunny afternoon, I arrived home to 5 full water bottles on our front step. I walked in the house with the intention of putting my purse and newly purchased used books down, and then going back out to get the water. Of course I came in, got chatting with John and forgot all about them. When I finally realized on Saturday morning that I had forgotten them, I popped outside and discovered they were missing. Had someone else brought them in? NO. Oh my goodness, someone stole our water!?! I had images of a sneaky person pulling up onto our driveway and loading all the water into the trunk of their car and driving away. Who would do that? I was in disbelief, we live in a safe neighbourhood. Anyway, a few minutes after my discovery, I found the bottle tops in the corner of our front lawn. So most likely someone emptied the bottles under our big pine tree, and stole the bottles to retrieve their deposit which would work out to be about $50. Anyway, I know it’s silly, but it really bothered me that someone would have the nerve to come right up to our front door and steal something – it would have taken time too, those bottles are heavy. And if they would do that, what’s stopping them from breaking and climbing into a window in our basement? I guess that’s my paranoia coming through, and I am mostly over it now – but it did rattle me for a few days.
10. I got a new do, and I love it. It’s pretty much a fauxhawk (shaved on the sides and back, but long on the top). It’s so easy, and it makes me feel punky and edgy, so naturally I love it. I’ve kept it up most of the summer and I can’t wait to get the sides and back shaved again. Who knew my hair grew so fast?
So that’s pretty much it for my summer update. How was your summer? What have you been up to?